Today's Stitching

Friday, January 23, 2009

Mabel's Quilt



While browsing around Volunteer's of America last night my daughter found this treasure. It is a pink and white two block quilt, 30 x 50, hand quilted and appears to be handpieced. It is slightly faded and has a bit of fraying on the binding.....obviously well loved. It was marked $3.99! We turned it over and scribbled on the back in permanent black marker is "Mabel Goodworth"....'do not wash'.
It seems to have belonged to Mabel when she was in a nursing home and then donated to Volunteer's of America by family/friend/nurses....who saw little value in this worn, odd shaped quilt.
I fell in love with it immediately. It will have a place of honor from now on....I am sure Mabel would be pleased. I do not recognize the pattern....anyone know what it is called?

5 comments:

Kathy in FL said...

The block pattern is Storm at Sea.
Kathy in FL

Helen in the UK said...

I was going to say Storm at Sea too. Well done to you on rescuing someone's previously treasured possession :)

Nann said...

What a wonderful find! I'd call it a Storm at Sea variation. It's unusual to see it done in pink.

Kucki68 said...

I love that use of a storm at sea block!

Unknown said...

I believe this quilt was my husbands grandmother "Grandma Goodworth" she was truly a wonderful woman, with a heart of gold. She would be thrilled to know that someone cherished her quilt.